November 11, 2012

DIY: Starburst Mirror

The elusive starburst mirror. It adds glamour to any room. Finding the ones that are unique and don't look like they came out of 1970 are difficult. Also finding the ones that aren't over $300 can also be difficult. About a month ago, I had acquired the IKEA FIGGJO mirror (their version of the modern starburst) but I had no idea what to do with it. I wasn't crazy about the black frames and I was a bit perplexed by the frameless center mirror.

Thankfully this weekend, my friend dragged me to Blick and I was ready to take down this IKEA FIGGJO (so that it was fit to be put up). My DIY starburst mirror project ended up extremely successful—although a fair warning: almost any DIY starburst mirror project is a serious time investment due to the intricacy.











































Materials
  • Sheet metal (I'm a gold girl, but do what feels right)
  • Super glue or glue dots (I traded off and on, but in the end, I'd recommend the super glue)
  • Circular mirror or IKEA FIGGJO mirror (If you get a plain circular mirror, the project details are very similar, you'll just be adding the starbursts to the larger mirror as opposed to smaller ones)
  • Scissors
  • A friend, a movie, holiday music, or martinis; any or all will do

2 comments: